Public education and participation are key to understanding our local communities' concerns and making effective decisions on their behalf.
With that in mind, HATS' Public Participation Plan accomplishes the following:
- encourages citizens and groups to participate and influence decisions in the development of regional planning processes such as the RTP and the four-year Transportation Improvement Program (TIP);
- assists Limited English Proficiency (LEP) individuals as well as other underrepresented and underserved communities;
- maintains a list of agencies that work with traditionally underserved populations so they can be included in all outreach activities (HATS utilized the outreach work performed by the State Transportation Commission [STC] as part of the 2019 Twelve Year Program [TYP]. These results helped to identify an array of transportation issues that exist across the Tri-County region.);
- provides an ongoing, proactive approach to public involvement and outreach.
Recognizing there is a growing Amish and Mennonite community in the region, HATS has initiated an effort to actively engage members of these communities. With the RTP as the focus, meetings have been held in all three of the region’s counties. Discussion topics included horse-and-buggy, bicycle and pedestrian incidents; road and highway conditions; facilities repair and replacement; detours; and other topics.
OUTREACH & ACTIVITIES SUMMARY 2018
Flyers were distributed to the region’s municipalities and non-profit organizations the week of January 8.
Public review began in May, as did information sessions conducted by HATS staff.
Outreach activities will continue through summer and fall.
NOTE: If your organization would like to schedule an information session, contact HATS at (717) 234-2639.
Information Sessions (future dates TBA):
- 5/7: Perry County Commissioners
- 5/23: Strawberry Square Public Outreach
- 5/30: Mid-Atlantic Section Institute of Transportation Engineers Luncheon
- 5/31: CAT Board Meeting
- 6/4: Dauphin County Planning Commission
- 6/5: Cumberland County Eastern Outreach
- 6/5: South Hanover Township Planning Commission
- 6/18: Capital Area Council of Governments
- 6/19: Cumberland County Western Outreach
- 6/21: Upper Dauphin Council of Governments
- 6/26: Bike/Ped Task Force
- 7/11: Harrisburg Chamber Transportation Subcommittee
- 7/26: Tri-County Regional Planning Commission
- 8/1: Lower Paxton Township Planning Commission
- 8/21: Ickesburg Fire Department
- 9/13: Cumberland County Local Emergency Planning Committee
- 10/17: Perry County Local Emergency Planning Committee
- Center for Community Building
- Center for Independent Living
- Cumberland County Emergency Management
- Dauphin County Emergency Management
- Perry County Chamber of Commerce
- Perry County Emergency Management
- Tri-County Community Action
- West Shore Chamber of Commerce