VISION, GOALS & OBJECTIVES
A safe, efficient, environmentally responsible and seamless multi-modal transportation system integrated with sustainable land use patterns to serve the mobility and accessibility needs of our residents, businesses and through-travelers.
Goals & Objectives:
1. Provide an efficient, seamless and reliable transportation system:
- Provide funding priority to preservation and maintenance activities;
- Address safety and security concerns in all transportation projects and programs.
2. Improve the performance and operation of our transportation system for all modes and all users:
- Promote efficient management and operation efforts to lessen traffic congestion;
- Manage access to the transportation system to enhance mobility;
- Accommodate increasing truck volumes and minimize conflict with passenger vehicles;
- Expand opportunities for intermodal connections;
- Identify and address conflicts between various modes, focusing on the needs of youth, elderly, low-income persons and individuals with disabilities.
3. Expand transportation choices:
- Channel transportation funds toward alternate modes;
- Increase transit ridership and carpooling;
- Facilitate increased travel by bicycle and pedestrian modes;
- Encourage innovative transit solutions including BRT, autonomous vehicles and ITS upgrades.
4. Improve quality of life, promote human health and provide a safe experience for all users:
- Encourage context sensitive design (aesthetics, urban design, etc.) in transportation corridors;
- Promote a full range of transportation choices concurrent with development;
- Identify and pursue innovative opportunities to enhance bicycle and pedestrian accommodations.
5. Reduce environmental impacts:
- Promote a more direct link between the transportation planning process, project development and environmental enhancement while addressing environmental justice;
- Implement programs to increase the use of alternate modes and reduce SOVs.
6. Encourage livable communities and efficient land use:
- Focus transportation infrastructure capacity in areas planned for growth;
- Promote land use patterns that encourage or support walking, biking and access to transit.
7. Efficiently utilize existing transportation funds and pursue other funding opportunities for transportation system improvements:
- Bring additional, non-traditional transportation funds to the HATS region;
- Distribute information regarding innovative funding sources and strategies.